Friday, August 24, 2012

Final training day!

Side note: Apartment life is treating me well with the exception of one factor! The garbage disposal in my apartment is broken so the whole apartment smells awful. To make things worse, my roommate and I are never home during office hours to call maintenance to get it fixed. It is very unpleasant.

Alright... Back on track! Today was my last day of training. It was bittersweet saying goodbye to the training group. It was very comforting to have the same 10 girls all four days. Our trainers changed every once in a while, but there were two trainers who were with us three days in a row. I have definitely made friends through this part of the experience and I'm very grateful for that!

I met a new friend today! Her name is Terk! She is Tarzan's very best friend. She is a lively teenage gorilla with a mind of her own. It was a lot of fun being friends with her today! She did some funny things. At one point, her character attendant starting singing "Trashing the Camp," and Terk started dancing! The people around thought it was really funny. Terk is very proud of her ability to sign her name. Jane taught her! Terk is a lot more out going than Pooh, so it was a lot of fun to experience that change!

My roommates came to visit me today, but I wasn't around. Instead they found Terk! :)

Story time! We did 3 sets today. Spending x-amount of time onstage (meet and greet) and then x-amount of time off stage (break time) is considered 1 set. During my very last set of the day, right before I went off stage, there was a little family with two children. Two very small children. The boy was a little older, maybe 4 or 5, and the little girl was 2 or 3. The little boy was SO excited to see me! He just wanted to high five me over and over again! His little sister, however, was terrified. By the time I looked over at her, she was balling. I felt so bad. I know it's because Terk is super weird looking. She was on my right side, so I put out my right arm, palm down. Her mom pet my arm and said, "See? She's soft!" The little girl was not buying it. So I keep my arm out, cover my eyes with my left hand, and turn my head away from her. I look back to see if she's calmed down, which she isn't, so I gave up. I went back to giving her brother high fives because he liked it so much. After a little bit, the parents told the kids it was time to go. I looked back over at the little girl and waved. Not the scary, high energy wave, but one of those finger-to-palm waves you give to little kids. And guess what she did? She looks up at me and says, "High five!!" I WAS SO EXCITED! So I gave her the best high five ever and she goes, "Okay, bye Terk!" It made me so happy. That was the best part of my whole day. Even though it was something so simple. I felt so accomplished for winning over that little girl. I took her from crying to smiling and that was so exciting. That's why I'm here. And that's why I'm going to keep going back! :)

11 comments:

  1. That is a great story! Thanks for sharing! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww! I'm so happy for you Ashley. Super glad you're having a good time. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm just glad you actually keep reading my blog! :)

      Delete
  3. this made me smile(: im sooo excited for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a natural!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was linked to your blog by your aunt Sarah! I'm going to follow you... so I wanted you to know I'm not some crazy stalker! LOL! Sounds like you're having a great time! It's fun to read about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am such a weenie. I totally teared up when I read your story about the little girl. I love it!

    ReplyDelete