Saturday, August 11, 2012

Days 2 & 3: Crystal River, Florida & ORLANDO


Friday morning, we went to tour the USS Alabama! It was so cool to be able to see so much history on one battleship. It rained most of the time we were there. And, oh yeah, it's super humid! My hair was up in a ponytail before this adventure was over.

After touring the battleship, we continued our drive and after a short little nap, we were in Florida!! One of the coolest things about arriving in Florida is that they give you free juice at the visitor center! Small victories, right? :) Finally, after lots more driving, we made it to our destination for the night. We went to bed as early as we could because we had to get an early start this morning.



We were up and out the door before 7 AM this morning because we were going to go snorkeling with manatees!! If you know me, you know that I am afraid of water, a terrible swimmer, and I can't snorkel at all. This was destined to end poorly, but manatees are so cool and my whole family was so excited, so I decided I should be a good sport about it. In case you've never been snorkeling or scuba diving, wet suits are VERY difficult to put on or take off. That's all I'm saying about that. When we got on the boat, our captain took us down the river to a spring where the manatees like to hang out in the winter. The water was so clear. You could see everything! There weren't too many fish around there, so that was good for me. It was just nice, clear water. After we swam around in the spring for a little while, our captain decided it was time to actually see some manatees. So we left the crystal clear water and headed out back into the murky river water. We found a small group of manatees hanging out in some shallow water and our captain let us go into the water to swim with them. I lasted about fifteen seconds in the water before I decided to go back to the boat. My fear of the water won. It was really cool to see everyone else interacting with the manatees though! Michael and my family said that the manatees would just rub against you if you were in their way. I think that's pretty cool. I would have liked to have the view everyone else had, BUT I felt mighty safe on the boat, so I won't complain!


Later this afternoon, we all had lunch with some family friends that live near Tampa. It was good that I was able to see them before beginning my job with Disney because now, if I need anything, they said they will be there for me! This family is some of the nicest people I have ever met and I will definitely let them know if I ever need anything!


I finally made it to Disney!! Never mind the storm clouds, I was so excited to see this entrance! I can't believe we finally made it. I thought this day would never come and it's actually here. Only one more day until I check in and really begin my journey.

Michael and I spent most of the evening exploring. We went to Downtown Disney, the Disney Boardwalk, and then explored several resorts! It was so much fun, and it was really nice to have some time for just the two of us to hang out.

This sign is in the gift shop at the resort we're staying at, Pop Century Resort. It made me happy, so hopefully it makes everyone else happy. Goodnight, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment