Thursday, September 13, 2012

It's Halloween time in the Magic Kingdom!

I have slacked with the posts this week. I'm very sorry. I talked on the phone with my mom for a while last night. She told me a lot of people have been asking her questions about my costumes. I will just throw out some general answers for everyone. It is very hot in the costumes. There are no fans or cooling vests or anything cool like that. Some costumes are worse than others. The Pooh costume is all connected so there is no opening to get some air in. White Rabbit wears a jacket and gloves, so there's some space for the air to get in which is awesome. Also, his head is not attached to his body, so some air gets to my neck. I sweat A LOT in costume. Not as much as other people, but still a lot. It's gross. But once you sweat enough, there's nothing bad left to sweat out, so you're basically sweating pure water. Think whatever you want, but it's true. I always bring a towel with me, and we change the t-shirt and shorts that we wear under the costume after every set to help with cooling down faster. Plus, it's gross to wear the same sweaty clothes all day. I think the College Program is a very rewarding experience in certain fields. For some people, they never work with guests or anything, so their job is less exciting. My job is one of the best ones. This is an experience you could never get anywhere else and it opens up so many doors. A lot of other character performers I have been talking to auditioned to go work at Disney Tokyo for a 14 month contract as face characters. They would get their own studio apartment, free of charge, with money each day for living expenses, plus your pay check each week. I think that would be so awesome. Plus, the tourists that come from Japan are always SO excited to see characters.

I start one of my Disney classes next week. It's called Interactive Learning Program. If I'm being completely honest, I have no idea what this class is going to be like. I just know you learn about Disney and get to go to the parks sometimes. I feel like that is enough. In October, my other class starts. It is Exploring Disney Heritage. In this class, I will learn all about the past, present, and future of the Walt Disney company. I'm super excited for this class. I was put on the wait list for it as soon as registration opened up, so I'm glad I was able to get into the class. I feel like this will be one of the more rewarding parts of my Program. It will be nice to actually learn things about Disney while working here.

Monday, I was friends with the White Rabbit again. I sure do love being with him! My friends Kali and Sarah came to see me at work. They always get super excited when they see me in costume. It makes me laugh. I didn't get to work with Alice this time, which was a bit of a bummer. It still went well though! It's always fun when people I know come to see me at work!

Tuesday was the opening night for Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party. I was super excited because I got to be friends with Grumpy! It was so cool to be a character from my favorite Disney movie. It definitely made it easier since I have seen Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs about 8000 times, so I knew exactly how to act. Grumpy and Dopey are always the favorites, so it was really fun to be able to play off of people getting excited to see me. The grown men always loved seeing Grumpy. If I would hear someone in line talking about me, I would lean over to let them know I was listening and then cross my arms and look away. They LOVED it. People thought it was so hilarious that Grumpy was acknowledging them when it wasn't even their turn to greet him. And it wasn't a big deal that I was ignoring the guests right next to me because that is Grumpy's nature! I was still welcoming to the people who wanted to greet me, but most just walked right by and went straight to Dopey, so I acknowledged that too! I had a lot of fun with this character. A little girl in line even asked me if I would be happier if she gave me candy. Unfortunately, we had our switch out before she got to meet the dwarfs. As I was leaving, she asked if I wanted to have my candy anyway. She even reached into her bag to get some. It was so sweet. I motioned for her to keep it. When I went backstage, I told my back-to-back that a little girl would offer her candy and she needed to be nice to her. I don't know how everything played out, but I like to think she ended up being nice to that little girl.

I don't always know what to write on my blog, so everyone is welcome to ask me questions. I really don't mind answering! I would actually like it because sometimes I don't post anything at all because I don't know what to say! I hope everyone is doing well and has a magical day! :)

3 comments:

  1. I would love to take a Disney Heritage Class. You are going to have to tell me all about it.

    We had "friends" in the MK on Tuesday night. They are also members of the EyesonEars website I belong to. They were using their cell phones to stream the parades and fireworks live. It was really cool. We have never seen the Boo To You parade or Hallowishes so I loved seeing them. I hooked up my Ipad to apple tv and watched it on the tv nice and big. Next best thing to being there.

    They were using one cell phone to stream with via the website and another to chat in the website chat. I tried to tell them to go see Grumpy - but I don't think they saw me say it. Would have been so cool to see him that night. Oh well.. maybe in December.

    I really am loving each and every update to your blog and hearing about all of your experiences. Thank you for sharing with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the dwarfs make another appearance for Christmas, so maybe you will see them then! I was able to watch the fireworks from my break room behind Splash Mountain. It wasn't the same, but it was still great to see!

      Delete
  2. I got to see them from the top of the train station on Main street - well *I* wasn't there but I got to see them via a cell phone live stream. ;)They were awesome. The only ones I have seen that are better so far - and again those were from a live stream via cell phone from the Poly beach is the New Years Fireworks. They are soooo amazing!

    ReplyDelete