Monday, November 19, 2012

Minnie's Birthday!

Today, I am in a fantastic mood. I have had a great few days here. Friday, I was reunited with my favorite character, Minnie. Saturday, I spent the evening with Donald. Yesterday was Minnie's birthday and I got to spend the evening with her AGAIN! Today, I woke up and checked my email and found out some very exciting news.

Friday night was the night of a Christmas Party in the Magic Kingdom. I was back in Storybook Circus, which is conveniently where my roommate, Sarah works! In Storybook Circus, the major attractions are Dumbo and the Barnstormer. Pete's Silly Sideshow was recently added. Here guests can meet Minnie, Daisy, Donald, and Goofy. Daisy is a fortune teller, Donald is a snake charmer, Goofy is the Great Goofini, and Minnie is a poodle trainer! Minnie's outfit is absolutely precious. She looks like a sparkly cupcake. I love her dress. So do all of the guests. If I listen closely, I can hear people waiting in line say, "Oh! Look how beautiful her dress is!" It's very fun. I really love Minnie Mouse. If I could be friends with her every single day, I would do it. Any time, any place. Unfortunately, my schedule does not provide this opportunity. When I got back into the break room after one of my sets on Friday, I was in the middle of telling a story to Goofy. As I was talking, I was also taking off my costume. I continued talking through all of this, like nothing was happening. Then I sat down and finished my story. I hadn't realized it, but there was an attendant staring at me. When I finally looked at him, he said, "You are Minnie Mouse. In and out of costume. You are just like her." Later he added that it was so cute how much I was like Minnie Mouse. That made me laugh a little. I really just love Minnie Mouse. I can't say that enough. Her mannerisms are so cute and we have the same posture and stances. Basically, she is just perfect and we should be together every single day. Side story: Later in the evening, we had no line, so I kept asking my attendants to go get me a slushy from the gift shop next door. Then the manager walked in, so I asked her! She said not right now. She left. I continued asking one particular attendant, mostly because I could tell it was annoying her and she didn't know how to respond to me. She kept saying, "Minnie, why are you doing this to me?!" That was amusing.

Saturday night, I was with Donald the snake charmer! His set is really cute. He has two large snakes on either side of him and their eyes are spinning like they have been hypnotized. For the first half of the night, we had a long line, so Donald and I really just had to hug, sign, picture, and wave. No time for fun. We have to keep the line moving. After my first set, Donald walked into Sarah's break room. All of the cast members in the break room were cracking up. I think this is partly because Donald was there, but mostly because his manager was standing right behind him. Oops. He walked out and went back to his break room. I laughed when the manager saw my face. "No meet and greets in other break rooms! And no slushies!" I had to laugh at that. I know she was kidding. I wouldn't have done any of this if any other manager had been working. Wouldn't want to risk getting in trouble! Besides, I needed some excitement. Having a long line is so boring because we don't have time to do any playing. Toward the end of the night, things started to get exciting. Every once in a while, Donald would look over at the snakes and make sure they were still good and hypnotized. We wouldn't want them coming out of it while guests were around! One of the very last families of the night was so much fun. There were two boys and then the parents. The older brother was probably 10 or so and then younger one about 4 or 5. The older boy walked up and handed Donald his book. He then asked Donald, "Hey Donald! Did you hypnotize these snakes yourself?" Oh boy. Finally! Someone understands what the heck I am doing here! I respond by nodding. I then hold up a finger, as if to say, "Wait." Then I start waving my hands and fingers back and forth while pointed at the snake. Then I turned back to the boy and continued with the waving motion. Obviously I'm hypnotizing him. He caught on. His eyes got very wide and he held very still. Once he was good and hypnotized, I held up both of my hands to say, "Stay." He moved a little, so I did it again. "Stay." He understood this time. I began signing his book. The younger brother giggled away. Once I finished signing the book, I turned back to the hypnotized boy, pointed to his right hand, which was in his front pocket, and motioned for him to lift his hand. He did. I turned his arm so he had his palm facing up. Then I placed his book in his hand and again told him to stay. He did. I love this kid. I took the little boy's book and signed his next. Then I placed it in the older boy's hand, on top of his own book. He held both. Then, I motioned for him to lift his left hand as well. I placed his pen there. Then I took the younger brother's pen and placed it there as well. He now had both pens and both books. I pointed to him, then to a path along the floor that would lead him to his parents. He walked to his parents, handed them to books and pens, and waited for further instructions. I pointed to him and then back to the spot where he had been standing beside me. He walked back, stopped when he was beside me, and waited. Stay. He stayed. He was already facing his parents, but his head was turned toward me. I put my finger on the side of his chin and turned his head until he was looking at his parents. Then I made a smile motion with my fingers. He grinned. Stay. I did the same thing to the little brother, who was already positioned perfectly for a photo. Then I posed and we took a picture. After the picture, I turned the boy toward me again. I did the waving motion I had done before and then I clapped my hands together and jumped. When I did this, he stumbled back, as if he had been released from hypnosis. It was great. I applauded him and gave both boys a hug. After that, they all left. I had so much fun with that family. They were great.

Yesterday, I checked the Disney Auditions website. I am constantly checking to see if there are any opportunities for me to audition for a face role. Finally, they are accepting electronic submissions of head shots for face roles. I am asked at least once a day if I perform any face roles. I've been asked about every character in my height range, and even some not in my height range. I hear Snow White a lot, but I'm much too short for her. I have also heard Tinkerbell, Periwinkle (Tink's sister), Alice, and Wendy. I sent in a head shot and resume yesterday. I am really hoping something comes of this. It probably won't, but it's good to at least try! Plus, now Casting will have seen my face again. The more you get your face out there, the better luck you will have. So fingers crossed, everyone! All of this aside, yesterday was Minnie's birthday! It was Mickey's birthday too, but I like Minnie better. Plus, I spent my day with her in the circus again. It was so much fun. So many people knew it was Minnie's birthday! During my first set, lots of people wished Minnie a happy birthday. Then during my second set, my friend Hayden brought Minnie a birthday button! She couldn't wear it, unfortunately, but she got to take a picture with it! She was very excited that he had been so thoughtful! During my third set, a nice couple brought Minnie a laminated card they had made for her. She was very excited. Toward the end of the set, a little girl ran up with a Minnie plush toy. She handed it to Minnie and squeezed the foot. It played Happy Birthday! The Minnie toy was also holding a Mickey balloon. On one side it said, "It's my birthday!" and on the other it said, "Minnie's birthday party!" It was super cute. After the photo, the girl and her mom started to walk away. I was still holding the Minnie. Confused, I held out the toy for them to take back. "No," the little girl said. "That is for you Minnie! See? It says it's your birthday!" I was SO EXCITED. I clapped my hands and jumped up and down a little. They couldn't see it, but I had a big smile on my face. I was so excited. Everyone in my break room was super jealous. Especially my back to back. I feel bad, but I don't get gifts very often, so I was excited. To all the people who ever plan on visiting a Disney park in their life, take this into consideration. Characters LOVE getting gifts. Honestly, even if your kid draws a picture on a napkin. We keep those. At least, I do! So next time you go to Disney, encourage your kids to make their favorite character a present. You don't even have to spend any money. Ask a character attendant for a pen and an index card. They have them. Trust me. I love the little handmade gifts. They are great.

This brings me to the final piece of today's entry. I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was applying to extend. I also mentioned that I wanted to be switched to a different role. I wanted to be able to work with guests in a different way than I have been. Maybe even talk to them? Last night, as I was coming home with my awesome gifts, I thought back to the last few weeks I have had. I met Kidd's Kids, my blog count doubled in three days, I was reunited with Minnie, I hypnotized a little boy, I got to hang out with Piglet and Eeyore at a place that they are never at, and hey, I get to play at work. All of these things made me realize that I really didn't want to change roles. I didn't want to trade all of this in for a chance to talk to people sometimes. I have a phone. I can call someone if I want to talk. Or I can go to the parks, or Downtown Disney, or Walmart if I'm desperate. Plus, Michael will be here. That will be a huge help. I realized last night that I was crazy for wanting to change roles. I also realized that considering the fact that I had selected other roles above my current role for my extension that, if I even do get to extend, I probably won't have my same role. Today is the day that people start finding out if they get to extend or not. I nervously checked my status this morning. The first page popped up. "Congratulations!" Okay, that part is done. Definitely staying here with Michael until May. That is very exciting! Next page: personal information. This is the page with my role on it. Extension role: Current role/location. Thank the Lord! I get to keep my friends! Yay!! I was so excited when I saw all of this. So, to answer all questions: Yes, I am extending. I will be here until May 10. I am going home to McKinney, Texas December 5-12. I will continue working in Entertainment. My blog entries will continue! Please, everyone keep your fingers crossed that I can get a face role. Or at least be contacted about it. It would be so much to me to be considered.

I hope everyone is doing very well. I can't wait to be home! 16 days and counting!

4 comments:

  1. This was a fun entry to read! I am glad you are excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I read you blog I sit here thinking "if those people only knew who you are." Not because it would take away from the magic for them - I guess I think that because each and every blog post blows me away. You are Disney magic - inside out. Reading your blog doesn't detract from that magic - it increases it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciated everything you said! :)

      Delete
  3. I am so happy for you and for me as well, I get to read another 5 months of your blog From the HOUSE of MOUSE.

    ReplyDelete