Thursday, August 14, 2014

Bangarang

This has been an eventful week! I suppose the biggest thing I want to talk about is the passing of Robin Williams.

I've never met Robin Williams. I have never seen his stand-up comedy acts. I've never seen half of his movies. Until today, I don't even think I had seen Hook in its entirety. I didn't know anything about his family or his life. That doesn't mean he didn't matter. Or that his passing isn't sad. The biggest impact he had on my life was bringing the Genie to life in the movie Aladdin. I watch Aladdin every couple weeks. It is one of my favorite movies. As I have grown from a child into an adult, I have learned to appreciate the brilliance he had in that role. Over the course of the last few days, I have witnessed the Disney Cast Members uniting to grieve together. Several performers asked to speak to a manager on Tuesday in an effort to get the Genie to do a meet and greet in Magic Kingdom. I don't think it worked, but I know they tried. The Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It, Sreet Party is a sort of parade that stops and turns into a short dance party. Genie is a part of this celebration. On Tuesday, there was little dancing as most guests were hugging the Genie from all sides. Quotes by Robin Williams and photos of the Genie are popping up all over Disney property in the various entertainment break rooms. A lot of Cast Members feel like they lost a family member or a dear friend. It is very sad the way his life came to a close, but it has given so many people a reason to remember all of the happy moments he gave them. This is definitely one of those, "I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when..." moments. I was in the Animal Kingdom performer warm-up room, waiting to clock out, and talking with other performers when someone announced that Robin Williams had died. I do hope people continue to focus on the positivity and laughter he brought to the world and respect that his family needs to time grieve without ridicule.

Keep looking up, friends.

I am very pleased to announce that I am approved to be friends with Wendy! I didn't tell many people that it was a possibility in an effort to not get my hopes up too high. I finally got the news yesterday and I am very excited! She and I won't get to hang out for a while, but to know that it is going to happen at all is a big deal! I also learned that I [should] be hanging out with Tink here in a couple weeks! I guess Peter Pan is going to become my favorite story. I had my parade orientation last Saturday. I learned so many interesting things about all the work that goes into Disney's parades. Now that I've been through the class, I can hang out with Mickey, Minnie, and Pinocchio in Disney's Electrical Parade that happens after dark in the Magic Kingdom. After I spend a few days getting to know Tink, I will also be able to hang out with her in that same parade! I can't wait.

I don't really have much else to report. That was the big news I've been waiting to share. I've said it several times since I've been here and I will say it again: I am being given so many wonderful opportunities this time around. I can't wait to see what else is in store.

"Carpe Diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary." -Robin Williams, Dead Poet's Society

2 comments:

  1. Carpe Diem! So excited for you Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's kinda funny you'll be friends with both Tink and Wendy... so when Tink is jealous of Wendy it's sorta like you'll be jealous of ... yourself? Ha! Congrats! That's so awesome.

    ReplyDelete